Thursday, September 2, 2010

I'm ok with that

I always "shoulda won" but never do.

And I'm ok with that.


Two weeks ago I attended a photography workshop with a photographer who's work I totally admire. The workshop was a little basic for me but it was nice to confirm some of the things I already knew. That is always good in boasting my confidence.

It also was good in that I was able to network with an amazing photographer. That in itself made the workshop totally worth it.

Then there was this photography contest for all the workshop attendees.

I entered.

The competition was stiff. The race was close.

I rallied. Hard. Then my competitive, OCD nature took over and I rallied some more.

(insert drum roll here) And in the end, it was another mom that won the prize of a $150 sitting fee with Captured Moments Photography.

But here's the issue....

When all the votes were tallied and counted, I actually had more votes. Barely. But I did.

A good friend of mine even counted. Seriously, printed the lists, highlighted, eliminated all the duplicate and triplicate votes and counted, double counted then triple counted.

Maybe the actual results were tallied using a different method of counting. I am ok with that. Nothing really I can do.

But the competitiveness in my bones was let down. Of course I wanted to win. I was determined. But it was all in good fun and losing was not THAT big of a deal. Only KINDA a big deal, not only to me but to those who took the time to vote. That is what made me sad.

This friend of mine that was just as invested in the whole process as I was, actually wanted to send an email to inform of the possible miscount.

I mean, really, miscounts have been known to happen. I vaguely recall something about chads in Florida?? Right?

So, I begged her not to. I would have been mortified. I don't want to be petty. I just have to believe that karma will find me.

There was this one other time that I "shoulda won" but didn't. It involved a wet t-shirt contest in Cabo. Um... yep.

Some things are just not meant to be.

And I'm ok with that.

2 comments:

THE VELVET SOCIETY, Events & Design said...

I so love you! And am very proud of you. You don't need to "win" a contest to know your a winner. You rock at everything you do. Continue to learn and grow and only you can satisfy yourself with the outcome.
Xoxo

Stacey said...

Dude, I have no dignity - I'll send her an email. Just watch me. Also, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!