Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Keep the Faith



Most of you know that I have invested a lot of time and energy to help raise money for my friend, Shawna that is battling cancer. And I thank those of you again, who have donated.

I received an e-mail today that reinforced my efforts to continue to raise money for Shawna. I believe I is a must read. Have your tissue ready.....

"My name is Jim Horn. As a teacher here at Bullard, I was forwarded the terrible news about Shawna by Liz Dodds, our librarian at Bullard. The story was a “de ja vu” for me. When I was 14 years old, my mother came down with something called Hodgkins Lymphoma . At the time, my father owned the largest gas station in San Luis Obispo which is where I grew up. San Luis Obispo was even a more sleepy town in 1962 than it is today; a great place to grow up and, later, to grow old in. There wasn’t much to do in the meantime. She was a good mom, too. I remember the stories about when she was pregnant with me and how she would go to the old mission to pray for a healthy child. I give this to you as a background because in 1962 she was diagnosed and, at the time, there wasn’t much known about this disease. Eventually she went to the Sansom Clinic in Santa Barbara where a number of things were tried; many of them to no avail except to make her even more sick. Up to that time, no one had survived Hodgkin's. The doctors eventually took the position that there was nothing more they could do….. except to try a very experimental protocol. The insurance company would not pay as this was an “untried” therapy. I remember my father going to Santa Barbara and consulting with the doctors and was given the choice of ending any further treatment or to find some money to pay for the new treatment knowing that the financial burden would rest with him. Without hesitation or reservation, he told them to “go for it.” Ultimately, he had to sell the station to pay for treatment. What he received in payment didn’t completely pay for it, but that was the decision and he never looked back. After a period of time, which seemed like years but was, in reality, only about 14 month, she went into remission and ended up living another 20 years. When my father died in December of 1977, she fell sick again and died that next June. Both of them were my hero and heroine. I haven’t thought about it much over the years, but there really was a love story there, although neither would admit it.

Shawna, keep the faith. Keep your optimistic side up as the power of positive thinking can move mountains. It is rough to look the grim reaper in the eye and not blink. From what I have read about you, your faith and belief system are much like my mom’s. Look that old fella in the eye, let out a laugh and tell him, “not now, sucker, not now. I have too much to do.”

I remember Dan when he was here at Bullard and I remember him as a good man. This will certainly test his metal, no question about that. Those young sons are going to need his strength and direction as well. Personally, I am not one could call a “bible beater” by any stretch of the imagination. However, there are times when we must let someone stronger than ourselves shoulder the burden for us until we can resume the task. No matter what happens in the end, the master’s plan will be played out and families are forever.

My hopes and prayers are with you and yours. I am sending a donation and if there is anything more I can do to help, please let me know; this treatment needs to go forward."


For those of you interested, Sarah Hallier and I are hosting a Benefit Fundraiser for Shawna on Saturday, October 25th, 6pm at Pangea Restaurant, in Fig Garden Village, Fresno, California. It includes an hors d'oevre and cocktail reception for $50 per person. Please e-mail me if you are intrested.

No comments: