Thursday, October 9, 2008

Them Good People

There are days when I get really depressed hearing about all the hate and anger in the world. The evening news is regularly filled with killings, robberies and lately filled with back stabbing politics. It saddens me to think of all the unhappy people.

However tonight, I my heart is warmed my the goodness of others. My dear friend Shawna, who is fighting for her life against cancer, was blessed with a fundraiser that exceeded all expectations. The local Moms group of Fresno put together this idea to raise money through Baja Fresh. 15% of all proceeds from those who brought in a particular flyer and at Baja Fresh today would go directly to Shawna.

Steve and I ate there for lunch today. The place was packed. We waited 45 minutes for food after we ordered. I approached the manager before we left to make him aware that tonight was going to be 10 times busier. The manager actually got a little pissy with me and scolded me for the people that were handing out flyers in line. From what I saw, 95% of the people in line had flyers already and I was upset that he was being so petty. He told me that 50% of the proceeds would be forfieted for that reason. I was appaled. A friend, Randy, was outraged as well and determined to do something about it. They had no clue for the evening shift was in for.

Tonight the place was off the hook. Shawna showed up for the dinner shift and introduced herself to the manager. The manager said, "Who are you?" thinking she must be someone special to pull this big of a crowd. He mentioned that they have had fundraisers before but none even close to this magnitude. Randy also returning for dinner, chatted with the manager and they agreed to not forfiet 50% from lunch and instead donate 20% of the proceeds to Shawna. The news brought tears to my eyes.

I spoke to Shawna after the event and she was astonished by the generosity of others. She came home with $400 dollars in her pocket from people just handing her money. I can't wait to here how much the proceeds from Baja Fresh is going to be. I will keep you posted.

All this makes me realize that there really are good people left in this world. And sometimes we shouldn't let the small things bother us so much. Life is truely a blessing and I am so fortunate to wake up and live each day.

No comments: