Sunday, March 20, 2011

The Duathlon

It was 6 o'clock this morning. As I was getting ready to leave, I hear Steve say to me as he is still laying in the comfort of our nice cozy, not to mention WARM, bed,

"I won't judge you. It's ok if you don't go."

Ohhhhh, How I wish I would have listened to him.


Even after a trip to REI last night, no wardrobe adjustments were going to make today's competition any better... or drier.

It was cold.

And pouring down rain.

While I chatted with another athlete as we waited for the race to start, we contemplated leaving.

Wish we would have.

Seriously, Starbucks was just across the street.

Damn.


So there we were, at Woodward Park in Fresno... Myself and maybe 25-30 other athletes, lined up at the start line ready to endure what was about to be the wettest, coldest, muddiest two hours of our lives.

First it was a four mile run. A two mile loop... Twice.

Did I mention it was pouring down rain? Well, it was. My feet were completely soaking wet before the race even started.

The first two miles went well. It was a trail run. Slippery, wet, muddy trail. Feet landing in huge mud puddles with every step all while trying not to slip, fall or twist an ankle. The next two miles were a little tougher. But I made it through.

Then, I got on my mountain bike for what was supposed to be 12 miles, three times around a 4 mile course. The course was so wet and the conditions were so horrible, they directed us to only do two laps. 8 miles total on the mountain bike.

At first I thought this is kinda fun. But somehow, not knowing how it was possible at this point but I seemed to get more wet, more muddy and more cold. I kept going.

As I was riding, I was thinking... "What the &%$# am I thinking? This is just crazy. Borderline stupid. There are people in the world that are suffering. Other who are cold with no roof over their heads. People in Japan who just lost everything. I actually have life pretty darn good at this point. So... WHY on God's green earth would I WILLINGLY torture myself to this extent?? And not just voluntarily, I actually PAID MONEY to do this!!!"

At that point I started singing my ABC's just to focus on something else.

With only one crash over the front of the handle bars, I eventually completed the 8 mile bike ride.

As I returned my bike to the bike rack, I asked another participant, "When is this supposed to get fun?"

Next, it was one last loop on the run. Only two more miles to go.

My feet were soooo soaking wet, I actually stopped to try to dump out the water in my shoes. There was no water. I put my muddy wet shoe back on and kept going.

As the rain was still pouring down, I just put one foot in front of the other and trekked on to the finish.

And there at the finish line were two of the most amazing people, Farron and Helen Reed, cheering me on and congratulating me. (Steve was at home with the kids... Darn him. Smart him.) Farron and Helen with Sierra Multisport Productions are the two responsible for putting together this crazy... er GREAT event.

I was still smiling... Shocker.


Then they announced the winners.

I didn't win.

Go figure.

But I got first place in my age group for the women.

WTF??

Oh wait, I was the only one in my my age group.

Shhhh.... Don't tell anyone. It'll be our little secret.



Next up...

Hello, Mud Run???

Can you hear me?

I am ready for you!!!!

6 days and counting...

5 comments:

Team Hayes said...

Hmm, kind of like when I placed 3rd in the double stroller division of the half marathon I did last summer...but there were only three double strollers in that race. However, it wasn't raining, and there was no mud. And, I didn't look nearly as good as you!

Mrs. Gray said...

Well done. See you next weekend for some more fun!

robin said...

that sounds miserable.

but wow, you did it! amazing!

Unknown said...

You are awesome! (and a little funny too)
-Andy

p.s. I would have been hanging out at home like Steve

p.s.s. My wife would have stayed home too :)

Shannon (IronTexasMommy) said...

You rock my socks! Miserable will make you appreciate the better races and will give you an "I'm a bada**" race story to tell other competitors later.

Way to bring it! I'm so proud of you! :)