Thursday, February 19, 2009

AMGEN Tour!!

I feel comfortable admitting that I don't have much knowledge of cycling. I know about Lance Armstrong and that is about it. So, when one of the biggest events came to Clovis yesterday, I had mixed feeling about attending the festival along with the masses!! I thought maybe I would head to Clovis in the morning to check out the festivities then maybe after Carson's nap we would take a walk to Shepard and Minnewawa and catch a glimpse of the race as the cyclists zoomed by. I never imagined that my day would turn out like it did. (No, I did not make out with Lance Armstrong!!)

Kristi R, Carson and I headed to Clovis around noon to walk through downtown Clovis and check out some of the booths and vendors. After taking pictures with "Milk Mustaches" at the Got Milk Booth, we were determined to find something to eat. I really just wanted a corn dog but we noticed a new restaurant with a patio that just happened to be right at the 50m finish line!! AND even with all the spectators, we just happened to find an available table on the patio. We ordered lunch, made friends with the table of men next to us and waited the FOUR hours to the end of the race. We were able to watch the entire race on a giant jumbo-tron type screen that was among the finish line and in perfect view for us to watch from the patio. Poor nap-less Carson was such a trooper as he played and waited patiently with us. The masses continued to gather while we had a perfect front row seat. The cyclists entered Clovis, circled around the streets of downtown and raced down the finish line. It was true excitement as we watched them practically fly by! I couldn't tell you really who won, but do know that I was by, as my brother quoted, "the length of Carson's wee wee." Lance was in there somewhere too!! It was a once in a lifetime opportunity for us and it was definitely worth it!!

No comments: