Sunday, April 5, 2009

Mom of Boys

I get it now. It finally clicked and it all makes sense.

I struggled with the idea of having "TWO" boys. My heart was set on having a boy and a girl. But an e-mail that I received from a friend helped me to put it all in perspective. I am finally excited to have another boy and am completely overjoyed with emotion!!


What does it mean to be a “mom of boys”? It means grass stained knees, rumpled up hair, chewed on fingernails, legos and hot wheels underfoot. It means forts and battles--superheroes and video games. It means baseball, soccer, football, basketball, bike riding, and more... It means boundless energy and giggles galore! It means worry-- hoping nobody hits their head on a coffee table during a wrestling match or falls down the stairs as they race to bed. It means that everything has new meaning-- every curb, rock, railing, step, stair, and puddle is an adventure. I learned very early on, that if your boys come home with dirty clothes, it means they had a GOOD day! Brothers are a blessing! Everything is a competition-- who is the fastest, strongest, and smartest. They appreciate and admire each other-- even if they are reluctant to admit it. Seeing brothers together will bring tears to your eyes-- just when you think you can't possibly race one more hot wheel or build one more lego ship, they see their brother who is equally excited to do it all again. They get great joy and comfort being with someone who “gets it”. They will learn so much from each other and you will learn so much from them.

Being a mom of boys is a new and fabulous adventure and it will help you to better understand your husband. Boys are a different breed-- and they are amazing! Raising boys comes with great responsibility… helping them to gain intuition, understanding, warmth and emotional depth, perseverance, and courage… encouraging them to dream big and to believe in themselves. Boys love their moms! You will see love in their eyes and warmth in their hearts bigger than you could ever dream. I tell my boys how lucky I am to be the only girl in the house because that makes me the princess-- even our dog is a boy.

The boys drew a picture the other day of a king (daddy), 2 knights (the boys), and a princess (mommy).

Boys are very protective of their mommies and you will find that with all you give, it always comes back—even greater. As boys get older there begins the transition of truly needing their dad and all the great things he has to offer. We must encourage them and support them in this transition—all the while continuing to love them endlessly.

Moms of boys have a common fear—fear of not being needed any more. we like to secretly hope that maybe our boys will want to live with us forever… but we do know that If we do our job “right”, they will make it on their own and find someone to love and live happily ever after with… and isn’t that exactly what we want? We aren’t just raising boys, we are raising men. We want them to assume independence, fulfill their calling, and make their mark!

In my heart, they will always be “mama’s boys”, but my hope is for them to spread their wings and fly. So I pray my daughter in law loves me and pray my boys don’t forget to return to the nest.

With love,
Lisa, proud mom of 2 amazing boys…

No comments: